Sunday, September 18, 2005

UC Davis Victory over Stanford


Rare indeed
UC Davis took advantage of a rare opportunity:
-- The Aggies had never before played in front of more than 21,000 fans
-- They hadn't played a Div. I-A team in 8 years
-- They hadn't played a current Pac-10 school in 65 years


A Cardinal shocker --Davis scores winning TD in final seconds
Michelle Smith, Chronicle Staff Writer
Sunday, September 18, 2005

The indisputable mismatch between a Division I-AA team with an 0-2 record and a bigger, stronger squad from the powerful Pac-10 -- a no-brainer on paper -- was anything but Saturday night at Stanford Stadium.
UC Davis stunned the Cardinal with a game-ending 11-play, 72-yard drive, finishing with a 3-yard touchdown from quarterback Jon Grant to receiver Blaise Smith with eight seconds on the clock to score a huge 20-17 upset, Stanford's first-ever loss to a I-AA team.
UC Davis, who opened its season with home losses to New Hampshire and Portland State, proved to be a formidable foe, and Stanford contributed to the Aggies' cause with both ineffectiveness and ineptitude, turning what was supposed to be a friendly addition to its schedule into a crushing, dispiriting defeat for a team trying to rebuild.
It may also be a costly loss, with starting quarterback Trent Edwards leaving the game after the second series with a hand injury. He did not return.
"I'm feeling ill,'' said Stanford nose tackle Babatunde Oshinowo, followed by a long pause. "Davis came to play and we didn't. We didn't play the way we are capable of playing, while they played their best game. This was one of the worst games I've ever seen."


It was a great victory for the Aggies. Thanks to Phong for inviting us out to the new "Big Game."


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even I have to laugh that I refer to the match-up between Davis & Stanford as the "Big Game."

Anonymous said...

hi
i think this was a great victory, becasue Davis has never won against these guys. go, Jordan
mike